While Colts.com, the official website of the Indianapolis Colts is reporting that backup linebacker Keith O'Neil has been placed on injured reserve -- and their roster reflects that move as well -- it may be a temporary move by the club.
IndyStar.com is reporting that the team has released O'Neil, and this quote by head coach Tony Dungy appears to indicate that the move to injured reserve may be the channel the team has to go through en route to releasing O'Neil.
"Keith is a guy who has played for us, has played in game situations and played winning football," Dungy told Colts.com. "He had been one of our top special teams players. Anytime you’re letting veteran guys go, it’s tough."
By putting O'Neil on injured reserve, the team has put him in a position where he has to make a choice. He can either stay on injured reserve and sit out the season while drawing his salary, or he can accept an injury settlement and be available to land a job -- and a new contract -- with another team.
The rest of Dungy's quote seemed to indicate that O'Neil was certainly capable of playing for another team in the near future.
"He and Rick [DeMulling]in another year would have made it very likely" he said. "It’s just that type of year where we have a lot of guys who have done a good job."
Putting the pieces of information together, it's likely that you'll see O'Neil released with an injury settlement within the next few days.
The Colts still need to release at least two more players on Tuesday to get down to the league-mandated maximum of 75 players. Then by September 1 they have to cut 22 more players to get down to the 53-man active roster limit. On September 2, they can start assembling an eight-man practice squad for the season.